Powered By Blogger

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Life Returns



I was in love with a pretty little dogwood just off my porch. It sheltered my window from the sun, letting only the brightest golden rays in, and was a peaceful backdrop to my computer. In the spring it bloomed with lovely pink-and-white blossoms, which floated gently down in the warm breeze. One day I returned home from work and to my dismay, my tree had been cut down. This is what remains of my tree.













As I strolled through a nearby park, listening to my feet crunch on the fallen dead leaves, my eye caught a flash of vivid green. Nature is resurrecting herself.






In Sleeping Beauty the princess is guarded in repose by thorny vines that the prince must cut through with his sword. So it may seem odd, but to me, thorny vines are some of the most romantic plants out there. 
A test of loyalty.































I don't know why, but I've always been drawn to Canada Geese. It may have something to do with the fact that one of my favorite, favorite songs is "My Favorite Things," from The Sound of Music.

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

My class sang it at Christmas time in music once in elementary school, and I was fascinated by the illustration in the book of Canada Geese gliding through the night sky under the white moon. Canada Geese are simply beautiful to me - the long curvature of the neck, deep black with striking white cheeks. The deep earthy brown of their bodies, the feathery patterns zig-zagging down to a neat point of their black tail feathers and white feathered rumps. It's possible I like Canada Geese more than swans, which I also love.
























Hurry up spring! More lovely green things please!


1 comment: