Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Something Natural

After the success of my first picture walk through Hafer Park, I went out again the next day after school. I was not prepared, however, for the vicious cold front that moved through sometime between Sunday afternoon and Monday afternoon, and I think some of my pictures this time suffered for it. My hands were red and numb, I was shivering, the wind was blurring up perfectly nice close-up stills...but I still enjoyed my solitary walk, stopping every few feet anytime something caught my eye. As you can already tell I'm sure, I'm not a great fan of wide landscapes, but this area doesn't offer many good ones anyway. While some of these photos might give the impression of a great wilderness just off frame, the truth is that Hafer Park is just a minuscule reserve in a bustling city, complete with telephone lines criss-crossing through the treetops, trashcans dotting the walkways, and litter, despite the presence of many, many trashcans.

....people....

As I pored through the few decent shots that I did snag before both sundown and plummeting temps forced an escape, I noticed how many of the colors, textures, and shapes match my vision of Andy's and my wedding coming up in November. It will fall just after Thanksgiving, which I love, because I never could decide whether I wanted an autumn wedding or a winter one. I'm definitely not a summer bride. I'm not really a summer anything. I was born in January in heaps and heaps of snow in Italy, and I've always been a fanatic for the stuff. When most people my age cringe at the weather report this time of year, I search ahead hungrily for a forecast of snow and ice. I'm not crazy, I don't want to drive in the stuff. I just want to be in it. To sit at my window, in layers and layers of soft comfy flannel and long johns, and gaze at the pure, pristine palette of white, white, white. Silver, icy blue, gray...I love it all. The second it begins to melt, my passion is quickly replaced by the winter blues. Stupid ugly slush. 

Back to my autumn/winter wedding. I'm going to take advantage of having the wedding between Thanksgiving and Christmas, because then I can pull from both seasons. I don't personally care for the harsh red-on-white-with-green of a "Christmas" wedding, but I don't want cornucopias and pumpkins all over the place either. I'm going more in the direction of warm browns, deep merlot, forest green, and gold. Glowing fiery gold in candlelight and vintage neo-classical picture frames. I'll go more into my picture frame idea another time. Imagine the colors of nature, warm from the harvest, just beginning to frost over. I've picked a few photos from my Monday walk as a sort of inspiration board for the decorations, mood, and theme I want to create for the wedding.





  







No comments:

Post a Comment