Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 14, 2011

Spring Break Plans

Two words - spring break! For the next week, I'm on vacation. Well, not exactly. I'm not at work, but I still have plenty on my to-do list. The weekend began with a baby shower and a visit with my dad and his wife, Fran. Aren't they cute?!


Over the next week I will buy my wedding dress (eek!), go on a road trip to see the Alabaster Caverns, send my sickly computer to the great hard drive in the sky, and prepare the bedroom for a new bed, a wedding gift from Andy's grandparents. We just have to decide what look will define our perfect bedroom:

- Classic and traditional
- Clean and simple, but modern
- Old world charm

On that note, I must add that Andy's family has been hugely generous as long as I have known them. They've included me in their holidays, family vacations and trips, and are now giving us so much toward our wedding and future life together. I'm joining an amazing family. I'm also excited that I'll have a brother (in-law)! My whole life I've wanted a big brother, someone to look after me, give me a hard time, and beat people up who weren't nice to me. I couldn't have picked a better man for the job. I love this guy!


Also this week, Andy and I are getting into some details of the wedding planning, now that most of the basics, like a venue and a date, have been squared away. Each time we're in the car, we go through CDs of potential wedding music and add to what's becoming a long list, jotting down songs and musicians we want to include. Predominant on our list are Frank Sinatra, Louie Armstrong, and Ella Fitzgerald. Artists we're getting around to are Rosemary Clooney, Harry Connick, Jr., Bobby Darin, and Dean Martin. We quickly agreed that little to no pop music would be played. Anytime there's nothing better on TV and we give in to one of the many irritating wedding reality shows, we cringe at the dance party receptions. We don't exactly see ourselves on one of the most dignified occasions of our lives squatting and thrusting on the dance floor moving our bodies like animals. It's not exactly our style any day, as a matter of fact. Andy has taken ballroom dancing classes and shown me some steps, and we're talking about taking it up again soon, not just for the wedding, but for the fun of it. It's not that we're prude or uptight, we just have a certain vision for this particular day - elegant, classy, old-fashioned, but the stylish "old-fashioned" that's full of Cary Grant, Grace Kelly, and Audrey Hepburn. Not stuffy "old-fashioned". That would be NO dancing, which would horrify us, and then make us laugh really obnoxiously. As hilariously as we are removed from this level of grace and sophistication, we want to feel like this at our wedding reception:


It's really past time for me to stop procrastinating here talking about wedding stuff, and get my day going and actually start doing wedding stuff. It's time to go buy the dress. 





No comments:

Post a Comment