Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Fascinating

I've spent a lot of my spring break perusing the Internet for wedding ideas of all kinds - reception decor, ceremony decor, accessories... I have a lot of fun picking lots of different things I like, but I'm less successful at settling on a decision. For instance, I paid for my wedding dress, but has that stopped me from looking and making sure I made the right choice? No! I need an executive to make these decisions for me. At one bridal boutique, I literally turned to the consultant and begged her to pick one of the three dresses I liked. A true professional, she wouldn't, saying it was my decision and mine alone.

In my perusings, I've found one type of hair accessory I love. Fascinators are extravagant headpieces often worn instead of a veil, or with a birdcage, usually made with beads, crystals, flowers, or feathers. It's a great way to add a pop of color to your wedding style. My wonderful fiance, after peering over my shoulder and asking what in the world I was looking at on the computer, dubbed them, "Flair for you hair!" (He's not as gay as that made him sound, he was being incredibly facetious.)

Queen Elizabeth, Kate Middleton, and other British royals are famous for wearing elaborate fascinators on their hats. The name says it all - they grab your attention and are so beautiful you can't stop looking. And yet, in my opinion, they don't detract at all from the bride. When done well, they even add to the bride's glowing beauty. I've mentioned before that I'm not really a veil girl. That's not 100% true, because I just love certain types of veils. The vast majority of veils I've found online don't appeal to me - anything remotely poofy just seems distracting and more fit for a costume rather than a formal occasion. In fairness, I have found really stunning veils that I would be happy to walk down the aisle wearing  - long, flowy, ceremonious, and almost born from a different time. I want to share with you some of my favorite headpieces for a wedding day. Many of these are not in consideration for my wedding day, but I love them nonetheless, just maybe for a different bride. I hope you enjoy. All headpieces pictured are handmade by Etsy artists.












Love: 


Anytime a cameo is involved, I'm a fan:



I can picture this being worn in a beautiful summer meadow wedding:











I love the gold adornment on this. So glamorously vintage:





Stop here. This is a serious contender for my wedding day: 



I especially love the hair. I could really try to replicate this look in November: 

















No comments:

Post a Comment