Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Veil



I've mentioned recently that I'm particular about veils. While I find certain norms and mores of marriage and the wedding outdated and misunderstood, I am also quite old-fashioned in many ways that would surprise my comparatively conservative friends who think I'm just a lefty. The veil is a historic symbol in many cultures of nobility and mourning. In religion, it is associated with modesty, not just during the wedding ceremony, but in all aspects of life for women. I have deep respect for these long held traditions, and don't wish to mock them by wearing a veil as part of the wedding costume, just because I'm expected to do so. I'm not a bride who will be presented at first sight to her chosen husband. I'm a normal American girl marrying a normal American boy that I met nine years ago. I gave myself to him in mind, body, and spirit long before he gave me a ring. We both value and protect the intangible former far above the temporal latter. 

So for these reasons I've, very personally, found a veil superfluous. In a word, I feel undeserving. It's a sacred symbol which, on my head, would be a lie in the common context of purity. If I do choose to wear a veil, it won't be a decision made lightly. It would be a covenant veil, a symbol of sacrament, both to God and my husband-to-be. I don't make a habit of doing anything in life without reason. Decisions I make, actions I take, are executed with a great deal of preparation, questioning, and forethought. My wedding won't be any different. I refuse to take part in traditions I find meaningless or with which I disagree. I have too much respect for the persons who consider them sacred, and sacredness of the traditions themselves, to follow blindly and ignorantly. A marriage - our marriage - is too important. Above everything, I do believe in the unyielding mercy and forgiveness God freely gives all people who believe in Him, no matter how checkered their past. To consider myself above or below God's law is nothing more than arrogance. I intend to walk down the aisle, if perhaps not shrouded in lace or tulle - we'll see - but certainly in His grace. 

Even if we can't live in the Sistine Chapel, we can still admire it's ceiling. I found just a few veils I find beautiful and would like to share them with you. My favorite style is a variation of the  mantilla veil, a traditional Spanish veil popular among women of Catholicism. The cultural style includes a tall ornamental comb, which I would forgo for my purposes, and simply drape the circle of lace over the crown of my head, reflective of the Italian tradition. 







No comments:

Post a Comment